Celebrate The 2023 Healthcare Design Showcase
Successful healthcare design projects deliver spaces that do some serious heavy lifting, from supporting efficient and effective care delivery to engaging patients and providing a positive experience to uplifting both the organization and the community it serves. Yet, despite the tall order, each year we see submissions to the Healthcare Design Showcase manage to do just that, and much more.
We’re excited to share this, our 23rd year of the program that celebrates excellence in healthcare design.
All submissions to the Design Showcase were reviewed by our jury of industry professionals including architects, interior designers, owners, and consultants. The submissions were judged based on achievements in the categories of Innovation, Aesthetics, Experience, and Operational Performance.
The projects that received the highest scores in the first round of virtual jury review then advanced to the second round, a live, in-person judging event held in Omaha, Neb., this past spring. There, our jury assessed each project before determining those recognized with Honorable Mention and our highest honor, the Award of Merit ((see below for the full list of winners as well as jury members).
In our annual editorial coverage of the winning projects, you’ll find Q+As with the lead designers behind our Award of Merit winners. They share insight into how some of our jury’s favorite project elements came to be. You can also read profiles of the Honorable Mentions.
The Design Showcase offers a deep dive into the vast range of healthcare projects being delivered today, with tons of inspiration to inform the industry’s ongoing work.
Additionally, the Design Showcase winners will be celebrated during a magazine awards luncheon to be held at the 2023 HCD Conference + Expo (Nov. 4-7, New Orleans). Congratulations to all!
2023 Showcase jury:
- Jennifer Ankerson, Associate, senior interior designer, Leo A Daly
- Deborah Antes, Director of space planning and architectural services, University
- of Chicago Medicine
- Lindsey Brackett, Chief empowerment officer, Legacy FM LLC
- Jeffrey Brand, Principal and executive director, Perkins Eastman
- Nancy Coleman-Davis, National director design integration, Medxcel
- Kara Freihoefer, Director of healthcare research, Flad Architects
- Amanda Gee, Interior designer, EwingCole
- Gary Jereczek, Principal, Ratcliff Architects
- Angela Kron, Associate, senior interior designer, The S/L/A/M Collaborative
- Eric Kutche, Managing principal, 313 Works
- Evan Lamprecht, Partner, Altus Architectural Studios
- Luke Leyden, Assistant director and chief architect, University of Iowa Hospitals
- and Clinics
- Kristie Stanfield, Principal, Champlin Architecture
- Elizabeth Sullivan, Assistant vice president, architecture – facilities services, Northwell Health
- Kimberly Ward, Project executive, Erdman
- Paul Widlarz, Vice president/principal, HGA
Awards of Merit
- Crystal Clinic Orthopaedic Center, submitted by HGA
- The University of California, San Francisco, Nancy Friend Pritzker Psychiatry Building, submitted by ZGF
- AHN Wexford Hospital, submitted by HKS Inc.
- D’Youville University Health Professions Hub, submitted by CannonDesign
- MetroHealth Glick Center, submitted by HGA
- Hackensack University Medical Center, Helena Theurer Pavilion, submitted by Page and RSC Architects
- Jordan Specialty Hospital, submitted by BSA LifeStructures
- Steadman Philippon Medical Building, submitted by Boulder Associates
- UNC Rex Cancer Center, submitted by BSA LifeStructures
- UW Health, Pleasant T. Rowland Transplant Clinic, submitted by Flad Architects