HCD Expo: 2021 Nightingale Winners Announced
Healthcare Design magazine, in partnership with The Center for Health Design, announced the winners of the 2021 Nightingale Awards at the Healthcare Design Expo & Conference in Cleveland.
The annual Nightingale Awards, which recognizes products related to the healthcare built environment, are named for Florence Nightingale, a tireless advocate for the improvement of care and conditions in military and civilian hospitals in the 1800s.
Products are judged for their contribution to a healing environment along with aesthetics and innovation; contribution or solution for clinical or operational outcomes; durability, functionality, and quality; environmental sustainability; industry certifications and standards; and list price.
A 12-member jury panel of healthcare architects, interior designers, and facility managers evaluated the products at the HCD Expo. This year, 15 products received awards in 12 categories, with CF Stinson’s C.A.R.E. x Stinson named The Nightingale Best of Competition.
This year’s jurors included Shary Adams, mental health behavior practice leader, CannonDesign; Dee Dee Bonds, senior interior designer/associate, HOK; Edward Cheshire, architect, senior project manager, Nationwide Children’s Hospital; Sarah Cypher, director of nursing, Froedtert Hospital; Cindy Flinchum, project manager interiors, UW Health; Melanie Harris, healing practice director, BSA Life Structures; Debbie Heitzman, principal, SSR; Isaac Holman, senior interior design manager, ESa; Andrea V. Hyde, senior project manager, interiors planning, design and construction, Stanford Health; Tiana Lemons, senior associate, healthcare studio leader, Orcutt/Winslow; Travis Tyson, director of planning, Cleveland Clinic; and Anthony Treu, healthcare practice leader, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
Category winners for the 2021 Nightingale Awards are:
- Architectural Products: Non-Clinical, Gold Award—Accurate Lock and Hardware, Ligature Resistant Swinging Door System.
- Demountable Walls, Silver Award—Falkbuilt, Falkbuilt Digital Component Construction (Walls).
- Fabrics & Textiles, Gold Award—CF Stinson, LLC, C.A.R.E. x Stinson.
- Flooring: Hard Surface, Gold Award—Mannington Commercial, Legato Liquid Linoleum.
- Flooring: Resilient, Gold Award and Innovation Award—American Biltrite, Sonata Elements.
- Flooring: Resilient, Silver Award—Gerflor USA, Mipolam Evo.
- Furniture Collections, Gold Award—Stance Healthcare, Flo Dining Collection.
- Seating: Patient, Gold Award—Carolina, an OFS company, Knack Recliner.
- Seating: Patient, Silver Award—Interwoven – Kimball International, Ezzeri.
- Surfacing Materials & Finishes, Gold Award—Kwalu, Metallics That Aren’t Metal?
Innovation winners for the 2021 Nightingale Awards are:
- Innovation Award in Furniture: Clinician Support—Welnest, Nurses Station.
- Innovation Award in Seating: Guest/Lounge—Interwoven – Kimball International, Embra.
- Innovation Award in Seating: Patient—Kwalu, Modena Patient Chair and Ottoman.
- Innovation Award in Signage & Wayfinding—VividBoard, a GMi Co., Swing Changeable Glassboard.
- Innovation Award in Window Shading and Treatments—Privacy Glass Solutions, VISTA-Vision.
- Innovation Award in Architectural Products: Non-Clinical—Accurate Lock and Hardware, Ligature Resistant Swinging Door System.
- Innovation Award in Flooring: Resilient—American Biltrite, Sonata Elements.
- Innovation Award in Surfacing Materials & Finishes: Kwalu, Metallics That Aren’t Metal?